This delicious broccoli soup is rich and creamy – without a drop of cream. A fascinating combination of potatoes, chick peas, milk, seasonings, and tahini give it luscious creaminess without the fatteningness.
For a girl who hates tahini, I sure do use it a lot in my recipes (like here, here, here, here, and here). It’s interesting how an ingredient can totally change in taste when you combine it with other ingredients.
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small to medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 1/4 cups water or broth - divided
- 2 - 3 cups non-dairy milk (plain, unsweetened)
- 1/2 small carrot
- 1/4 cup cooked garbanzo beans – Use remaining garbanzos to make this delicious sandwich
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt - The amount of salt needed depends on how much salt is in your broth, beans, and milk. You may need to season to taste when soup is done.
- 4 cups chopped broccoli florets and tender stems
- In a large soup pot, sauté diced in oil over medium heat until onions are translucent and beginning to turn slightly golden – about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 additional minute.
- Add potatoes and 1 1/4 cup broth to pan, cover, and turn heat to high.
- Reduce heat and cook until potatoes are tender – about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place milk, carrot, beans, granulated onion, tahini, and salt in blender jar. (A heavy-duty blender works best for this recipe; other blenders may not get the mixture smooth enough.)
- When potatoes are tender, transfer ingredients in pan to blender jar. It's okay if a few of the vegetables get left in the pan.
- Pour remaining broth into pan and begin heating over high heat.
- Add broccoli, cover, and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until broccoli is tender – about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend mixture in blender until smooth and creamy.
- When broccoli is tender, add blender mixture. Stir. Heat until hot.