This wonderfully delicious, lusciously creamy, gluten-free and vegan Cream of Chickpea Soup is just as delicious as any chicken soup you’ve ever had. It has a rich, hearty flavor and yet is light and healthy.
This website is brought to you without annoying ads because we can live healthier lives without the influence of marketing. But running a high-traffic site is expensive. How can you help? If you purchase anything through the affiliate links on my site, your cost is the same, but I receive a small commission. Thank you!
With protein-packed chickpeas, just the right amount of veggies, and a light vegan cream, this soup is a meal in a bowl.
I like to make this soup with dried chickpeas that I’ve cooked in a crock pot or an Instant Pot. They taste better and have a nicer texture. Cooking your own chickpeas (garbanzos) in a crock pot or Instant Pot is as easy as can be, and it only takes a few minutes of your time. Check out my post about cooking beans in a crock pot (slow cooker). And here’s how to cook garbanzo beans in an Instant Pot.
Where to buy the best dried garbanzo beans?
Azure Standard carries the ABSOLUTE BEST garbanzo beans (chickpeas) I have ever tasted! They are super fresh and flavorful and always cook up tender and buttery. Once you try them, you’ll never want garbanzo beans from anywhere else.
Simple to make and loved by all, this one is sure to become a favorite you’ll make over and over again!
Not only is this Cream of Chickpea Soup absolutely luscious, but it is super healthy as well. It offers you a good dose of iron (which helps keep your immune system functioning well), manganese (which improves bone health and reduces inflammation), and folate (which is associated with lower risk of depression and better heart health).
Cream of Chickpea Soup
- 4 ribs celery, diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced or sliced thin
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoons olive oil - (optional)
- In a large soup pan, sauté celery, carrots, and onions in olive oil over medium heat until onions begin to soften – about 5 minutes. (Or, if you prefer to avoid oil, saute without.)
- Meanwhile, make cream base. Place cashews, 1 cup water, salt, garlic clove, lemon juice, and tahini in blender and blend until very smooth. (This works best with a heavy-duty blender.) Set aside.
- When onions are beginning to soften, turn heat to high and add 3 cups water and seasonings to pan. Cover and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and cook over low heat until vegetables are tender but not mushy (about 6 to 8 minutes). Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the vegetable pieces.
- When vegetables are tender, stir in beans.
- Stir in blender mixture and cook just until hot, but do not boil.
>> One quick request: if you like this recipe, please leave a rating and a comment. Ratings help more people find these healthy recipes!
You my also like:
Before you go . . .
Did you know that you can eat all this delicious food AND lose weight? You can!
No calorie counting. No portion sizes.
Join my online weight loss program today!