My favorite kind of dishes are those that everyone can tailor to their individual tastes. Like Healthy Potato Nachos. Or these lovely Loaded Sweet Potatoes.
Different preferences? Picky eater? Gluten-free? No problem. Just set out all the fixin’s and everyone gets to build their own delicious plate just the way they like it! Which makes these make-it-how-you-like-it kind of meals perfect for when you have company coming for dinner.
Loaded Sweet Potatoes
Yield 4 servings
Quick, easy, and very flexible, Loaded Sweet Potatoes can be made according to each individuals tastes.
- 4 medium to large sweet potatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 medium fresh tomato, diced small
- 6 green onions, sliced
- sour cream or vegan sour cream or homemade vegan sour cream
- Scrub sweet potatoes, place on middle rack of oven and bake at 400°F for 45 minutes or until completely soft.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, sauté diced onions and peppers in oil over medium-low heat until onions begin to look translucent. (If you're in a hurry, you can skip the sauteing and just load the sweet potato up with raw onions and garlic, but I prefer them sauteed.)
- Add garlic and sauté for one additional minute.
- Add beans and seasonings and cook until thoroughly heated.
- Assemble sweet potatoes: Slice baked sweet potatoes lengthwise down the middle. Fill each sweet potato with 1/4 of the bean mixture. Top with tomatoes, green onions, and sour cream.