Traditional lasagna calls for pasta, tomato sauce, meat, and ricotta cheese … and is pretty high in fat. But this lasagna is anything but traditional.
And that’s one of the great things about lasagna…it’s a dish that’s quite amiable toward change. Its flexibility is the reason we see probably hundreds of variations of this traditional Italian dish.
- 4 - 5 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 2 3/4 cups water – divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups very hot water
- 9 uncooked Tinkyada lasagna noodles (Using other types of noodles might work with this recipe, but I don't know since I haven't tried it.)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil – divided
- 2/3 cup raw cashews
- 12 ounces silken tofu
- 1 tablespoon onion powder or granulated onion
- 1 1/8 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- Place diced potatoes, 1 cup of water, and 3/4 teaspoon salt into a medium-large pan and bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook at a low boil until potatoes are very tender.
- Meanwhile, place very hot water and uncooked pasta in a large, flat dish to soften noodles. Set aside.
- Sauté onion in 2 tablespoons of oil in a small pan over medium heat until onions begin to turn translucent.
- Place cashews and remaining 1 1/2 cups water in blender and blend until mixture is very smooth with no grit. Add tofu, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, and seasonings and blend until smooth.
- Pour one cup of blender mixture into the bottom of an oiled 9” x 13” baking dish.
- When potatoes are tender, remove from heat, and add 2/3 cup of blender mixture. (Do not drain potatoes.) Mash potatoes with a potato masher or an electric mixer. Add a small amount of water if necessary to achieve a very soft mash potato consistency.
- Stir approximately 1/4 cup of sautéed onion into mashed potatoes. Stir remaining onions into remaining sauce in blender. (Do not blend).
- Place 3 drained lasagna noodles into baking dish over the sauce. Spread half of potato mixture evenly over noodles. Place 3 more noodles over potatoes and then spread remaining mashed potatoes over noodles. Place remaining 3 noodles over potatoes. Pour blender mixture over noodles taking care to cover noodles completely.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
I've been doing a little experimenting with this dish, thanks to some suggestions that Cynthia left in the comments section. We love it! (I made the adjustments in the recipe as of 11-19-08.) Hope you like it too!