And a healthy breakfast can’t get much easier! I just put ingredients like whole grains and dried fruit, in the crockpot, turn it on, and in the morning we have a delicious, filling, hot breakfast waiting for us.
The slow cooker is your secret weapon in the kitchen. It’s one of the best, and least expensive, time-saving tools you can own.
If you’ve never tried steel cut oats before, you’re in for a treat!
Steel-cut oats also have a richer flavor than do regular rolled oats. In fact, most people, once they’ve tried steel-cut oats, say they’ll never go back to regular rolled oats again.
What Are Steel-Cut Oats?
Steel-cut oats are oat grains that have been cut into pieces rather than rolled like old-fashioned oats or quick oats. This method leaves steel-cut oats with a texture that’s chewier and heartier than rolled oats.
Because they are cut pieces rather than rolled, they hold up better in a crockpot than do rolled oats.
Where to Buy Steel-Cut Oats?
Overnight Oats Deluxe
I cook this Overnight Oats Deluxe recipe in my little 2-quart slow cooker and it makes enough to serve 3 or 4. But no worries if you’re cooking for only one or two. Leftovers go in the frig, reheat the next morning, and you have instant breakfast!
More Overnight Cereal Recipes – Healthy Breakfast Ideas!
Here’s how to make lots of different kinds of cereal in a crock pot overnight.
More Crock Pot Cooking
Overnight Oats Deluxe (Sugar-Free)
- 3 cups non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon flax seed
- 1 tablespoon raw sunflower seeds - optional
- 1 cup steel-cut oats - gluten-free if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon salt - scant
- 2 apples, peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup - optional
- Place all ingredients, except raisins, walnuts, maple syrup, and vanilla in slow cooker in order listed. Gently stir.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. (An appliance timer is useful for limiting length of cooking time. See note #3.)
- When cereal is done, remove lid and stir in remaining ingredients. Cereal may be thin, but will thicken when stirred.
>> One quick request: if you like this recipe, please leave a rating and a comment. Ratings help more people find these healthy recipes!
You my also like:
Before you go . . .
Did you know that you can eat all this delicious food AND lose weight? You can!
No calorie counting. No portion sizes.
Join my online weight loss program today!