Lime Rice, Bean, and Tofu Bowl
This naturally gluten-free dish is so flavorful and filling and taste fabulous topped with guacamole.
14 ounces super-firm tofu (See note.)
4 teaspoons granulated onion
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoons salt
3 - 4 cups hot, cooked brown rice
2 teaspoons granulated onion
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
BEANS AND VEGETABLES
2 medium to large onions, cut into strips
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 tablespoon olive oil
7 cloves garlic, minced or diced small
1 1/2 cups (one 15-ounce can) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 fresh lime
- Press water out of tofu. Cut into 1/2-inch x 1/2-inch strips.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix together tofu seasonings in wide-bottom bowl. Add all of the tofu at once to the bowl and shake bowl from side-to-side to distribute seasonings onto tofu.
- Place tofu onto an oiled baking sheet. (If desired, spritz with oil or cooking spray to help it brown more.)
- Place in oven and bake at 375°F for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pan, sauté onion and pepper in oil over medium heat until onions begin to look translucent (about 7 minutes).
- While vegetables are sautéing, chop cilantro and tomatoes. Set aside.
- Rinse and drain beans. Set aside.
- Add garlic to onions and sauté for 1 additional minute. Remove from heat.
- Place hot rice in bowl. Spoon vegetables over rice.Optional step: If you want your beans hot, you can heat them in the pan that the onions were sautéed in now.
- Spoon beans over rice.
- Add tomatoes and cilantro.
- Add baked tofu.
- Top with avocado (or guacamole) and serve with lime wedges.
I use super-firm tofu for this recipe because it makes a chewier, meatier final product and it doesn't fall apart like other tofu. It's available at Trader Joe's, Meijer, and other major grocery stores.
Recipe by JennifersKitchen at https://jenniferskitchen.com/2019/09/lime-rice-beans-and-tofu-bowl.html