I think it was Abraham Lincoln who said, “Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends with them?”
Although we love black beans, pintos, garbanzos, and lentils, white beans aren’t exactly our favorite. I consider that an invitation – a challenge – to try to find a way to make friends with those little white villains.
Eat Your Greens
This recipe is also a super way to eat greens, which, by the way are an excellent source of bone-building calcium. Oust the milk with only 237 mg of calcium per 100 calories and bring on the greens at 459 (!) mg per 100 calories.
Wow! What a tasty way to build those bones!
Weight Loss Tip:
You probably already knew this, but with all the fiber and veggies in this soup, of course it’s a good weight loss food. Help yourself to seconds!
Packed Lunch Tip:
Put some hot Savory Bean and Kale Soup in a warmed thermos to take with you to work or school for a delicious and filling lunch.
Savory Bean and Kale Soup
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 3 cups water - stock, or vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons granulated onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- pinch dried rubbed sage
- 5 cups coarsely chopped raw kale
- 2 1/2 cups cooked Great Northern beans - drained
- 1 teaspoon salt - scant
- In a large pot, over medium (not high) heat, sauté onions in oil for one minute. Add garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add tomatoes, water (or stock or broth), and seasonings. Cover, increase heat to high, and bring to boil.
- Meanwhile, prepare kale.
- When soup comes to a boil, stir in kale. Boil uncovered for one minute, and then reduce heat to a low boil. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until kale is tender (about 15 minutes).
- Stir in beans and simmer until thoroughly heated. Season with salt to taste.
- Serve hot.
>> One quick request: if you like this recipe, please leave a rating and a comment. Ratings help more people find these healthy recipes!
For more healthy and delicious recipes like this one that will simplify your journey to a healthier and thinner you, check out my
You my also like:
Before you go . . .
Did you know that you can eat all this delicious food AND lose weight? You can!
No calorie counting. No portion sizes.
Join my online weight loss program today!