I am definitely a dip-kinda-girl. I don’t really like raw vegetables, but give me a dip to go with them and that’s a different story.
Beyond Dipping …
And have you noticed you can use dips for more than just dipping? On sandwiches, over potatoes, mixed into pasta, on top of beans, stirred into soup….
My Favorite Dip
My favorite dip, hands down, is guacamole. I could eat it every day … and if avocados were a little less expensive, I probably would. Hmmm … maybe I could grow my own avocados. (Why does my brain always go in this direction?) Does anyone know how to grow an avocado tree? Not the kind you start by sticking toothpicks into an avocado pit and putting it into a glass of water on the window sill, but a real one that produces real avocados.
My kids say we should eat guacamole every day, and lots of it. Their reasoning? “If we lived in South America we would eat it every day and we’d even eat it for breakfast.”
There are lots of ways to make guacamole. My favorite is also the simplest: avocados, onion, cilantro, lime, garlic, and salt. Five minutes – start to finish. Mild, yet full of flavor.
This guacamole is actually tomato-free. My thinking is, avocados are soooo good, why “water down” the fabulous avocado taste with tomatoes? Especially the plastic-y, winter-time tomatoes? But if you like tomatoes, go ahead and add a few. Enjoy! : )
Want some more avocado yumminess?
Simply Delicious Guacamole
Simply delicious guacamole.
- 1/4 small to medium red onion, diced
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice - or to taste
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium avocados, peeled and pit removed
- Dice onion and place in mixing bowl.
- Crush garlic using a garlic press and place in mixing bowl with the onion.
- Add lime juice, cilantro, and salt to bowl.
- Add avocado and mash with a fork. Guacamole should have some lumps left; it should not be perfectly smooth.
- Add more lime juice to taste if desired.
Be sure to use very ripe avocado for the best tasting guacamole.
Leave a comment
Your comments make my day! 🙂