Be sure to use only fresh beets in this recipe. Canned beets won’t produce the same results.
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely shredded or finely diced
- 1/2 head of cabbage, coarsely shredded or diced small
- 4 medium FRESH beets, peeled and shredded or finely diced
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed or 2 tablespoons fresh
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 4 cups broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, scant
- 1 tablespoon honey or 2 teaspoons sugar – optional
- salt to taste
- Prepare vegetables. (I use my veggie chopper for this.)
- In a soup pan, sauté onion, carrots, cabbage, and beets in oil over medium heat until vegetables are slightly tender, but not soft.
- Add garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add seasonings and stir.
- Add remaining ingredients, turn heat to high, and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until all vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaves.
Serve hot topped with sour cream.
Variation: Omit the diced potatoes and add 1 1/2 cups white beans along with the tomato pure
Recipe by JennifersKitchen at https://jenniferskitchen.com/2013/05/borscht.html