Instant Oatmeal – Nutritious, whole-grain oats with a blend of … ummm … artificial flavors, sugar, and red #40.
Lucky for us, a healthy version of instant oatmeal is so easy to make at home.
Instant Oatmeal from the Store vs Homemade Oatmeal
DIY Flavored Oatmeal
This homemade strawberry oatmeal starts with nourishing oats and creamy almond milk, adds a spoonful of almond butter, and is naturally sweetened with fruit and a handful of your favorite mix-ins. Now you’ve got your own healthy version of strawberry oatmeal in less than 15 minutes!
How do I run a high traffic site without ads? Some of my posts contain affiliate links. If you purchase anything through those links, your cost is the same, but I receive a small commission. Thank you for your help!
Yield 2 servings
Forget the sugar-filled, instant oatmeal you find at the grocery store. This delicious oatmeal is made from fresh fruit and contains no sugar for a healthy start to your day.
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, scant
- 1 heaping tablespoon orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon almond butter or walnut butter
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats (Use gluten-free oats if desired.)
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup – optional
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1 small banana, sliced – optional
- 1/3 cup fresh or frozen mango dices– optional
- 1/3 cup fresh or frozen blueberries – optional
- Place milk and salt in a medium saucepan, cover, and begin heating over high heat.
- Stir in orange juice concentrate and nut butter. Stir in quick-cooking oats.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook at a very low boil for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent oats from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
(If you forget to stir and oats do stick, simply turn off the burner for about 5 minutes. Cereal should scrape off the bottom of pan easily now. Resume cooking.)
- After 12 minutes, stir in maple syrup (if desired), 1 cup strawberries, and vanilla. Mix well and continue to cook for a minute or two, or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat.
- Spoon into 2 bowls. Top with chopped strawberries, chopped almonds, and other fruit as desired. Serve immediately.
Makes 2 ¼ cups oatmeal + toppings.
Why does the recipe call for cooking the oatmeal for several minutes? Don’t quick oats cook in one minute?
Rather than just pouring hot water or milk over our oats, I always cook them thoroughly.
The human digestive system cannot properly digest mature grains that are raw or not properly cooked. The food molecules that have not been properly broken down by the digestive system pass through the intestinal wall and enter the general blood circulation.
Not only can this cause digestive trouble, but the undigested food molecules can then travel into and block the smallest arteries (arterioles) and the tiniest of all blood vessels (capillaries). This is a stress to the human system and can hinder optimal functioning of certain organs.
But cooking grains well solves this issue, making the grains easy to digest and nourishing for the body.
Leave a comment
Your comments make my day! 🙂