Ode to Mozzarella
Mozzarella is my favorite cheese;
I could eat a pound with ease.
On pizza, I love to pile it high,
Add olives and tomatoes – oh my!
Basil, tomato, and mozz on bread
For lunch is what I want to be fed.
With pesto it’s perfectly paired;
Way too good not to be shared.
But with figs or grapes, it’s my fave;
Cheese and fruit is what I crave.
Problem is, cheese adds pudge –
You know, like ice cream and chocolate fudge.
And to your arteries it’s not very nice;
It causes heart attacks in mice.
For humans, the story is the same;
Saturated fat is the one to blame.
So this vegan version is a perfect solution;
For fattening mozzarella it’s a great substitution.
Bring me some of this healthy mozzarella
And you will be my favorite fella.
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup plain (not vanilla) soy or almond milk
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, scant
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons + 3/4 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 1/8 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon granulated garlic (do NOT use fresh garlic)
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 7/8 cup water
- 2 tablespoons + 1 1/4 teaspoons powdered agar powder - see note at bottom of post
- Place all ingredients, except 1 1/4 cups water and agar, in blender and blend on high speed until mixture is smooth.
- Scrape down sides of blender with a spatula and blend again on high speed until mixture is very, very smooth and creamy. (I recommend using a heavy-duty blender to get the mixture very smooth and creamy.)
- Place water and agar in saucepan, and heat over medium high heat until boiling. Stir occasionally with a heat-proof spatula. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Immediately add agar mixture to ingredients in blender. Scrape pan with a spatula to get all the agar mixture. Blend until smooth.
- Promptly pour mixture to an oiled container. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or until set.
What is agar?
Agar is a cooking ingredient that’s made from a sea vegetable and is used as a thickener.
I use agar to make this delicious, soy-free, vegan sour cream
this yummy sandwich cheese,
and, of course, this healthy mozzarella.
If you’d like to know more about agar and where to buy it, check out this post I wrote about it.