Harvesting the butternut squash from our garden was so much fun this year. Every step I took, every one of those gigantic leaves I peeked under, there was another squash! Loads and loads of them.
So after hauling bushels of them to their cozy winter-storage spot and waiting 10 very looooong days for them to cure their little hearts out (they get sweeter during curing), I couldn’t take it any longer and scooped up several to enjoy roasted butternut squash, butternut squash soup, baked butternut, and this lovely Butternut Tofu Scramble with Avocado.
Now, you know how I feel about avocados. They just make anything taste luscious. But, let me tell you, match them up with some cilantro, tomatoes, onions, garlic, a few herbs, and some sweet and tender butternut, and I just may be eating this every day for lunch for the next month.
Which I may be able to pull off (if you could please send me some avocados) because, with these secrets for how to easily peel and cut a butternut squash, this delish dish is sooo easy. And with pre-cut squash from the produce section? Almost easier than take-out.
It’s also flexible. On a garlic kick? Throw more in. Want more onions? Yes, please. Fresh out of cherry tomatoes? You can use plum tomatoes instead and even regular slicing tomato in a pinch. It’ll still taste marvelous.
Butternut Tofu Scramble is great on a plate or you can put it in a tortilla or wrap. Add some healthy guacamole or sour cream … I’m getting hungry again.
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and diced butternut squash (cut into small pieces)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder or granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro or 2 teaspoons fresh minced
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large plum tomato or about 7 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 small avocado, diced small
- Place tofu in colander to drain and set aside.
- In a large, wide-bottom pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. When oil is warm, add diced squash and briefly stir to coat squash with oil. Saute for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Dice onion and pepper and add to squash. Stir.
- Squeeze excess liquid from tofu and crumble over vegetables.
- Add seasonings and mix well.
- Cook over medium high to high heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and some of the tofu is very lightly browned. See note.
- Stir in minced garlic and cook for one minute.
- Stir in cherry tomatoes. Cook until tomatoes are warm (about one minute) and then remove from heat.
- Serve topped with green onions and avocado.