This is now officially my favorite breakfast. And if I were a normal person who made a dish more than once instead of moving on to the next challenge after I’ve conquered a recipe, I would eat this every day.
This cereal is so easy and so delicious, and it practically cooks itself. Just put the ingredients in your crock pot, turn it on, and in the morning you have breakfast ready and waiting for you.
What are Oat Groats?
Oat groats are the whole grain oats (with the hull removed) before they get flattened into rolled oats.
I like to use oat groats when I cook cereal grains in a crock pot because they hold up to the long cooking times much better than rolled oats. And the result is a delicious, hearty breakfast with a slightly chewy texture and nutty flavor that gives you the energy you need for the whole morning.
Cook Breakfast in Your Sleep
Cooking hot cereal in a crock pot (slow cooker) is so convenient and saves so much time, I wrote a post about it. Check it out.
Maple Coconut Multi-Grain Cereal
Yield 3 to 4 servings
- 1 1/2 cups (one 13-ounce can) canned coconut milk
- 3 cups almond milk, soy milk, or rice milk
- 2/3 cup oat groats, scant (Use gluten-free oat groats if desired.)
- 1/4 cup brown rice
- 3 tablespoons millet
- 2 tablespoons buckwheat groats
- 1 tablespoon flax seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup (Be sure to use pure maple syrup, not pancake syrup.)
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pour coconut milk into slow cooker. If milk has separated, mix with a whisk.
- Add almond milk, soy milk, or rice milk.
- Gently stir oats, rice, millet, buckwheat, flax, salt, and maple syrup into milk.
- Cook on low for 6 to 9 hours.
- When cereal is done, stir in vanilla and chopped nuts. Stir cereal well to thicken.
- Serve hot topped with chopped nuts and a drizzle of maple syrup if desired.
1. This recipe is for a small (7-cup) slow cooker. Recipe need to be adjusted for different size slow cookers.
2. All slow cookers cook differently. If your hot cereal turns out too thin or too thick, adjust liquid amount accordingly the next time you prepare overnight hot cereal. See this post for troubleshooting crock pot cooking.
3. If you would like your slow cooker to turn on and off automatically, you can plug it into an appliance timer.