This website is brought to you without annoying ads because we can better live healthier lives without the influence of marketing. But running a high-traffic site is expensive. How can you help? If you purchase anything through the affiliate links on my site, your cost is the same, but I receive a small commission. Thank you!
Oh, brown rice, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
1. You are the answer to procrastination and last minute meals.
A big pot of you in the refrigerator and I have a great start for a fast and healthy dish.
2. You’re the base for this amazing Mazidra.
3. You’re multicultural.
Mexican? No problem. Asian? Like a pro. Indian? With ease. Middle Eastern? Yep. Caribbean? A natural. Italian? Buon appetito! Peruvian? Absolutely. Spanish? Claro que si!
4. You stuff collard leaves like a boss.
5. Your nutritional profile is impressive.
High in fiber, manganese, selenium, and niacin, you do a body good.
6. You add the perfect texture to these these fabulous Vegan Veggie Balls.
7. You make a dish into a real dish.
Without you, this Lime, Rice, and Beans, would be Lime, Beans, and Beans.
Mmmmkay. . .
8. You’re a morning person … er … a morning food.
Pineapple Coconut Rice . . . oooh! yummers!
9. You’re a cheap and healthy answer to overpriced and not-so-healthy box cereal.
Just heat leftover rice, add milk, a few frozen blueberries, and a sprinkle of chopped nuts – super healthy and super delicious!
10. You are gluten-free!
And vegan. So you can please a variety of dietary needs.
I quite like you in this Rice, Veggie, and Tofu Skillet. (Recipe below.)
Rice Makes Meals Easy
I really like to cook a big pot of brown rice at the beginning of the week and have it on hand in the frig since there are almost a zillion ways to use it.
How to Cook Brown Rice
For instructions on how to cook perfect brown rice, click here.
I’ll be teaching a weight loss class in Cadillac, MI next week and you can attend for free! If you live in the area and would like to come, let me know, and I’ll send you information on how to register.
Sorry, this class has ended. But you can still join my online weight loss program. It gives you cool videos, loads of delicious and slimming recipes, a meal plan, support, and much, much more!
Rice, Veggie, and Tofu Skillet
- 1 pound frozen, extra-firm, water-packed tofu, thawed - (not silken tofu)
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 1 – 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cup chopped kale - or 3 cups baby spinach leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons granulated onion - (1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Place tofu on a paper towel to drain. (Cut into strips if not already cut.)
- In a large pot or skillet, sauté onions in oil over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Turn heat to medium, add tofu, and sauté for 5 minutes or until tofu begins to lightly brown.
- Add greens and cook until greens are tender. (If greens stick to the pan, place a lid on pan to retain some moisture. Stir often.)
- Add minced garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add seasonings and brown rice and cook, stirring often, for 3 to 4 minutes or until heated through. (If your rice isn’t freshly cooked, add 1/4 cup of water and cook until water is absorbed – about 5 to 7 minutes.)
- Stir in tomatoes and lemon juice. Remove from heat.
- Serve hot.
>> One quick request: if you like this recipe, please leave a rating and a comment. Ratings help more people find these healthy recipes!
You my also like:
Before you go . . .
Did you know that you can eat all this delicious food AND lose weight? You can!
No calorie counting. No portion sizes.
Join my online weight loss program today!