The Great Burrito
It has recently come to my attention that I post a lot of Mexican-style recipes here. My apologies if Mexican isn’t your thing. I will try to do better and post more Italian dishes like pasta and soups … or Bulgarian dishes, like … ummmm….like … What do they eat in Bulgaria?
The Great Burrito
Burritos are one of my all-time favorite foods!
What’s so great about burritos?
1. They include guacamole.
What more can you ask for?
2. They are fast to make.
I usually have some tortillas on hand in the freezer and a can or two of refried beans in the pantry so we can put together burritos at a moment’s notice. (These are my favorite brand of refried beans because they have very simple, very healthy ingredients.)
3. They promote individuality.
You like your burritos with extra tomatoes? Load ‘em on. You want more guac? Absolutely. No onions? No problem.
I love food that allows everyone to fix it how they like it.
4. They’re easy.
Even a four-year-old can make them.
5. They are high in fiber. (At least this recipe is.)
6. They are portable!
So you can take one with you and drive right on by those arches.
7. They feature the amazing bean.
Go here if you want to learn what’s so amazing about beans.
8. They love to accommodate!
Expecting some weird vegans for dinner? No prob. These bean burritos (recipe below) are vegan, BUT they’re also flexible – which means the non-vegans can add cheese or dairy sour cream and everyone is happy, happy, happy!!
Got a gluten-free guest coming for dinner? Keep some gluten-free wraps on hand in your freezer (which, by the way, are often a favorite of those who don’t need to eat gluten-free) and your gluten-free friend will be forever in love with you.
9. You can put guacamole on them.
Please. Thank you.
This website is brought to you without annoying ads because we can better live healthier lives without the influence of marketing. But running a high-traffic site is expensive. How can you help? If you purchase anything through the affiliate links on my site, your cost is the same, but I receive a small commission. Thank you!
The Great Burrito
- 4 10- inch whole-grain tortilla wraps
Beans (see note)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 – 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/4 cups refried beans - (I use these healthy refried beans.)
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion - optional, see note
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil - optional, see note
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin - optional, see note
- 3/4 medium sweet onion, diced small
- 1 medium to large tomato, diced small
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 3 cups shredded Romaine lettuce
- 1/2 recipe Jennifer's Kitchen Vegan Sour Cream - OR 8 ounces sour cream or vegan sour cream
- 1 recipe Jennifer's Kitchen Healthy Guacamole
- Wrap tortillas in foil or parchment paper and heat in oven at 350°F for 5 to 7 minutes or until heated through. Watch closely as different brands of wraps will take varying amounts of time to reheat.
- Meanwhile, sauté garlic in olive oil over medium heat for 1 minute. Add beans. Add seasonings and heat over medium heat until hot.
- Spoon a generous 1/2 cup bean mixture down center of a warmed tortilla.
- Top with diced onion, tomato, cilantro, lettuce, sour cream, and guacamole.
- Roll up tortilla and serve immediately.
>> One quick request: if you like this recipe, please leave a rating and a comment. Ratings help more people find these healthy recipes!
You my also like:
Before you go . . .
Did you know that you can eat all this delicious food AND lose weight? You can!
No calorie counting. No portion sizes.
Join my online weight loss program today!
I love Mexican food. I love burritos. Wednesday is burrito/taco day around here, so your recipe will get a good work-out. Can’t wait!
P.S. I don’t know anything about Bulgarian food, so that’s okay if you don’t post any Bulgarian recipes.
Do you make your own tortillas?
We usually make our own tortillas using our tortilla press.
Sometimes we buy Food for Life Brown Rice tortillas.
Would you share that recipe?? We have a tortilla press and are gluten free also but haven’t had much success
That recipe will be in our upcoming cookbook. If you’re subscribed to my website, you’ll be one of the firsts to hear about it. 🙂