The right amount and the right type of fat are very important to the body. They play a role in the manufacture and regulation of hormones, help with weight loss, enhance our immune system, help promote healthy brain function, reduce cholesterol, reduce cancer risk, play a role in stabilizing blood sugar, and help to prevent diabetes. Fats are also important in transporting other nutrients, such as vitamins A, D, E, and K—the “fat-soluble vitamins”. Avocados (the main ingredient in guacamole) are full of these healthy fats.
But I like guacamole so much that I could eat an entire bowl at one sitting. That’s a lot of calories and fat!
This recipe is a low-fat version of guacamole that uses white beans to stretch the fat content (not to mention the dollars since avocados are sometimes quite expensive) and add lots of slimming fiber to the dip.
- 1 1/2 cups (15-ounce can) cooked navy or great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder or granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- pinch oregano
- pinch sweet paprika
- 1 ripe Hass avocado
- 2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander or parsley
- diced tomatoes
- Drain beans well and place in food processor along with garlic and seasonings. Process until smooth.
- Peel avocado and remove pit. Add avocado and lime or lemon juice to beans. Process until smooth.
- Stir in diced onion. Add salt to taste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and top with cilantro or parsley. Serve with tortillas or baked tortilla chips.
Packed Lunch Tip:
Sandwiches are a pretty common lunch food for those who don’t have a gluten sensitivity; but, while gluten-free bread is one option for a gluten-free packed lunch, many find that they enjoy expanding their mid-day meal repertoire beyond the traditional tiffin.
This low-fat guacamole is great for brown-baggin’. Just add some cut veggies and baked chips and you have a quick, easy, and nutritious gluten-free lunch!
Avocados are so yummy – why stop here?
Super delicious. Super easy.
My favorite guacamole!
Rich ad creamy, but not fattening.
A quick and easy pasta salad with zesty flavor.