Despite what you may read on the internet, butter, margarine, and oil are not health foods. While we do need fat in our diet, the fat found in whole foods – like avocados, olives, nuts, seeds, etc. – is the best way to get that fat.
Fat from animal sources (like butter) and refined fat (found in oil and margarine and buttery spreads) have been shown to contribute to weight gain, digestive issues, heart disease, diabetes, and other diseases.
But who doesn’t love a warm piece of bread or fresh corn-on-the-cob slathered with butter? Is there a healthier option for a buttery spread?
Healthier Butter Spread
This millet butter still contains some refined fat, but unlike other butter spreads, it actually gives you some fiber (other butter spreads have ZERO fiber) and offers a healthy dose of thiamine, niacin, and magnesium.
It’s also lower in calories than most other butter spreads. And it’s vegan and gluten-free.
Millet Butter (Healthy Buttery Spread)
Yield 1 1/2 cups
This healthier buttery spread actually gives you some fiber (other butter spreads have ZERO fiber) and offers a healthy dose of thiamine, niacin, and magnesium.
- Place all ingredients in blender and blend until very smooth. (I use a high-powered blender to make this recipe. Other blenders have a hard time getting it super smooth.)
- Pour into container and chill.
1. Keeps in refrigerator for about 5 days. I tried freezing this, and it changed the texture too much. (It was still edible - but barely). Since dividing the recipe in half doesn't work well (not enough in the blender to blend smooth), if 1 1/2 cups of butter is too much for you to eat in 5 days (like it was for me), consider sharing some. 🙂
2. I cook my millet in a crockpot (as described in this post) for 6 to 7 hours on low using 3/4 cup of millet and 3 cups (scant) of water. I like my millet to have a thick consistency so that my butter isn’t thin.
3. If you would like your butter to have more of a yellow color, add 1 to 2 small slices of raw carrot to the blender.
Leave a comment
Your comments make my day! 🙂