This is one of my very favorite recipes. Why?
1. It’s easy to make.
2. It’s so filling it can be a meal in itself.
3. It’s super healthy. And because I’ve replaced fattening ingredients with good-for-you, high-fiber cashews, it’s slimming and still delightfully creamy.
5. It’s creamy and luscious!
Soup is the epitome of comfort food and this delicious Cream of Potato and Kale Soup shows that it can be very wholesome and nourishing as well. When the weather turns chilly there’s nothing better than a piping-hot bowl of soup to warm you up.
Eat More Potatoes
Most people are surprised when they find out they can eat potatoes on my weight loss plan and that I have an abundance of yummy potato recipes in my 14-Day Program.
Hail to Kale
This queen of greens is packed with loads of health-benefiting nutrients, such as vitamin K, vitamin C, calcium, iron, and fiber. Kale has also been shown to have the ability to protect against cancer and lower cholesterol.
Cream of Potato and Kale Soup
Yield 4 servings
This rich and satisfying soup is also very slimming ... and it's vegan and gluten-free!
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 medium potatoes
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups packed, chopped kale
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or granulated garlic
- 2/3 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water, scant
- 2 teaspoons salt, scant
- In a large soup pot, sauté diced onions and celery in oil over medium-low heat until onions begin to look translucent.
- Meanwhile, wash and peel potatoes. Dice into bite-size pieces and place in soup pan along with 6 cups of water and chopped kale. Turn heat to high.
- Add seasonings, mix well, cover, and bring to boil.
- When water comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, but not mushy (about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the size of the potato dices).
- Meanwhile, place cashews, 1 cup of water, and salt in blender and blend until very smooth. (A heavy-duty blender works best for this recipe; other blenders may not get the mixture smooth enough.)
- When potatoes are tender, stir in blender mixture, and cook until hot.