I’ve learned two things about gardening in Michigan since I moved here:
1. You have to get out your snow shovel if you want to find your kale in January.
2. Potatoes love Michigan!
We dug 6 bushels of potatoes this past summer and have been storing them in a cool room in our basement. This means lots of these Healthy Mashed Potatoes,
and these absolutely delicious Skinny Scalloped Potatoes.
Regular scalloped potatoes are loaded with milk, butter, and cream; but this slimming version has none of that! Instead, it uses a base of blended cashews for a rich and creamy taste and texture without the refined fat! What’s more, the cashews offer a bit of fiber, which is always good news for weight loss.
But even if you’re not trying to lose weight, I think you’ll like these Skinny Scalloped Potatoes even better than the fattening kind!
Skinny Scalloped Potatoes
Yield 6 servings
Unlike the traditional version, these scalloped potatoes won't add pounds to your weight loss plan.
- Place cashews, 3/4 cup water, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder in blender and blend until very smooth. (A heavy-duty blender works best for this recipe; other blenders may not get the mixture smooth enough.)
- Add oil and 2 cups of the water. Blend.
- Scrub potatoes and peel if desired. Slice potatoes into thin slices. Place in an oiled 9" x 14" baking dish.
- Pour half of blender mixture over top of potatoes.
- Add remaining 2 cups of water to the blender and blend briefly. Pour over the potatoes.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 50 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 40 minutes. Serve hot.
With a food processor to cut the potatoes, this dish can be prepared in as little as 15 minutes.
I added a carrot to the cashew sauce to give the potatoes in the picture an added nutrient boost and richer color. If you want to do the same, just add a small carrot to the blender along with the cashews and water and blend.