I’ve learned two things about gardening in Michigan since I moved here:
1. You have to get out your snow shovel if you want to find your kale in January.
2. Potatoes love Michigan!
We dug 6 bushels of potatoes this past summer and have been storing them in a cool room in our basement. This means lots of these Healthy Mashed Potatoes,
and these absolutely delicious Skinny Scalloped Potatoes.
Regular scalloped potatoes are loaded with milk, butter, and cream; but this slimming version has none of that! Instead, it uses a base of blended cashews for a rich and creamy taste and texture without the fat! What’s more, the cashews offer a bit of fiber, which is always good news for weight loss.
But even if you’re not trying to lose weight, I think you’ll like these Skinny Scalloped Potatoes even better than the fattening kind!
Skinny Scalloped Potatoes
Yield 6 servings
Unlike the traditional version, these scalloped potatoes won't add pounds to your weight loss plan.
- Place cashews, 3/4 cup water, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder in blender and blend until very smooth. (A heavy-duty blender works best for this recipe; other blenders may not get the mixture smooth enough.)
- Add oil and 2 cups of the water. Blend.
- Scrub potatoes and peel if desired. Slice potatoes into thin slices. Place in an oiled 9" x 14" baking dish.
- Pour half of blender mixture over top of potatoes.
- Add remaining 2 cups of water to the blender and blend briefly. Pour over the potatoes.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 35 minutes.
With a food processor to cut the potatoes, this dish can be prepared in as little as 15 minutes.
I added a carrot to the cashew sauce to give the potatoes in the picture an added nutrient boost and richer color. If this is your first time making these, you’ll probably want to follow the recipe exactly as written. After you’ve tried Skinny Scalloped Potatoes and fallen in love, if you’re feeling adventurous and would like the extra nutrition, just add a small carrot to the blender along with the cashews and water and blend.