With the mild fall temps this year, the kale in our garden has been getting a bit out of hand, so I thought I would make some kale soup. But I was really in the mood for something rich and creamy.
Mmmm … Like Cream of Leek and Kale Soup. Yes.
Cream soups are typically quite fattening, but this soup uses slimming potatoes to give you creaminess.
Creaminess without fatteningness.
Cream of Leek and Kale Soup
- 2 medium leeks, cut into thin slices - (see note)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 ribs celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 to 4 medium potatoes
- 3 cups water - or very mild vegetable stock or broth – divided
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- pinch dried rubbed sage
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1 cup plain, unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt - or to taste
- In a large pot, sauté leeks, onions, and celery in oil over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes or until onions begin to appear translucent.
- Meanwhile, peel potatoes and dice into 1/2- to 1-inch dices. (I use my veggie chopper to cut the onions, celery, and potatoes. With the help of my chopper, I can prepare this soup in half the time.)
- Turn heat on high and add potatoes to pan along with 2 cups of the water and the seasonings.
- Cover and bring to boil. When soup comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook until potatoes are just tender, but not too soft (about 4 to 5 minutes).
- Meanwhile, wash and chop kale.
- When potatoes are tender, remove 2 cups of the soup mixture from the pan and pour it into a blender. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Stir remaining cup of water and chopped kale into soup. Cook uncovered at a low boil for 5 to 7 minutes or until kale is tender. Stir occasionally.
- While soup is cooking, add milk and salt to blender mixture and blend until smooth.
- When kale is tender, stir in blender mixture. Cook until thoroughly heated.Serve hot.
>> One quick request: if you like this recipe, please leave a rating and a comment. Ratings help more people find these healthy recipes!
You my also like:
Before you go . . .
Did you know that you can eat all this delicious food AND lose weight? You can!
No calorie counting. No portion sizes.
Join my online weight loss program today!