This recipe will surprise you! Oatmeal? No, this is not your grandmother’s oatmeal. You will love it! It’s oatmeal with a makeover.
I’ve eaten oatmeal many different ways, and this is by far my favorite. Naturally sweet, warm, creamy, and good for you!
Don’t like oatmeal? Try this.
Baked Apple Blueberry Oatmeal
A delightful change from plain oatmeal. This dish is quite sweet; if you don't like sweet oatmeal, you can easily half the sweetener.
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 2 cups applesauce
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup OR 1/2 cup raw sugar OR 1/2 cup chopped dates (see note)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Stir together all ingredients, except blueberries and oats in a large mixing bowl.
- Add oats and lightly mix. Do not over mix. Mixture will be soupy.
- Gently stir in blueberries.
- Pour into an oiled 2-quart baking dish.
- Bake uncovered at 375°F for 45 minutes or until lightly browned.
1. If using dates, they should be chopped small so their sweetness is distributed throughout the dish.
2. While the oil is optional, it does add a bit of a buttery flavor to the dish. However, it also adds calories and can be left out without negatively affecting the final product.
Make Ahead Tip: This dish can be baked the evening before and kept in the refrigerator until the next morning when ready to reheat.
Variation: Stir 1/2 cup chopped nuts in with the oats.