I’ve been enjoying looking through all the recipes that Grandma has collected through the years. Here’s a Christmas bar recipe that I found on a 1952 newspaper clipping. I’ve made a few adjustments and noted them below. They were yummy! 🙂
Grandma's Christmas Bars
Crispy Rice and Almond Bars
- 1/2 cup corn syrup - I used honey
- 1/2 cup peanut butter - I used almond butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup sliced or chopped almonds (roasted taste best in this recipe)
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut - I used unsweetened coconut
- 2 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips - I used carob chips
- Place honey in a medium to large saucepan. Bring to a light boil over high heat.
- When honey comes to a boil, stir in almond butter.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt and vanilla.
Note: I used unsalted almond butter in this recipe. If your almond butter is salted, you may want to cut the salt amount in half.
- Stir in remaining ingredients in order listed.
Press mixture into an oiled 8” x 8” pan.
Chill before cutting into bars.
If you need to follow a gluten-free diet, be sure your crispy rice cereal is specifically labeled gluten-free.