Here’s the deal on the skinny:
1. Because it isn’t made with mayonnaise, it’s low in fat and cholesterol-free.
2. The creamy dressing is made from cashews, which deliciously increase your fiber intake – a tremendous help for slimming down.
3. Cashews are also a good source of copper, which has been shown to be essential for good metabolism.
4. This broccoli salad is a good source of broccoli – which is a great food for weight loss, but you knew that, right?
Hope you are enjoying your summer!
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 1/2 cups diced raw broccoli
- 2/3 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 - 2 teaspoons raw sugar or evaporated cane juice
- 2 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup diced fresh, red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced cilantro
- Place 1/3 cup water in a saucepan and bring to a low boil.
- Add broccoli and cover. Cook over high heat for 2 minutes. (Watch closely to avoid burning.)
Remove from heat, transfer to a colander and rinse under cold water to stop cooking and chill broccoli.
- Place cashews, lemon juice, lime juice, oil, 2/3 cup water, garlic, sugar, onion powder, and salt in blender and blend until very, very smooth. (This works best using a high power blender.)
- In a mixing bowl, combine diced peppers and cold broccoli.
- Stir in blender mixture and fresh cilantro. (This recipe makes a lot of dressing. If you prefer less, simply mix in the desired amount and use the remainder over baked potatoes or on bread. It'll keep in the frig for about 5 days.)
Note: For the photo, I drizzled the dressing over the broccoli because I thought it was prettier; but I typically mix the dressing into the salad.