Wouldn’t weight loss be easier if you didn’t feel hungry?
New research shows that eating half an avocado for lunch offers significant help with reducing appetite and cravings and can help you avoid snacking. So if you’d like to get the munchies under control, you might want to consider enjoying some Healthy Guacamole with your lunch. Or have a bowl of Black Bean, Avocado, and Lime Salad or Pasta with Avocado, Tomatoes, and Olives or Avocado Sprout Sandwich for lunch. Or dip your chips (or carrots!) in this Low-Fat Guacamole. And be sure to replace fattening butter or margarine with Avocado Butter.
Or savor this luscious and so-good-for-you Pasta with Broccoli and Avocado Sauce. Slimming avocados and velvety white beans add rich, creaminess to this pasta dish without fattening ingredients like cheese or cream.
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta (I recommend Tinkyada pasta)
- 5 cups raw broccoli florets and tender stems
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 small cloves garlic or 1 large clove
- 3/4 cup drained white beans
- 2 teaspoons granulated onion
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon honey - optional
- 1 cup mashed Hass avocado (about 2 medium avocados – see note)
- Cook pasta according to directions on package.
- Meanwhile, cut broccoli into bite-size pieces. Cut stems a little smaller than florets since florets cook faster. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan or a pot, sauté onion in oil over medium (not high!) heat until just beginning to appear translucent (about 7 to 9 minutes). Do not brown onions.
- Stir broccoli and 1/2 cup water into onions. Cover, turn heat to medium-high, and steam until tender but not mushy (about 7 to 9 minutes). Watch closely and add a tablespoon or two more water if needed.
- Place lemon juice, garlic, beans, seasonings, and honey in food processor. Process until very smooth. (Be sure garlic gets pureed.)
- Add mashed avocado to food processor. Process until thoroughly mixed.
- When pasta is done, drain and then immediately return pasta to the pan it was cooked in.
- Add avocado mixture to pasta and mix well. (Or you can stir in half the avocado mixture and serve the remainder on the side to dollop on top of pasta.)
- Stir in broccoli and onions.
2. If you have a little extra avocado, you can add up to 1/4 cup extra mashed avocado without negatively affecting the results, but any more than 1/4 cup will dilute the seasonings too much.
Any type of pasta works in this recipe, but we like to use Tinkyada pasta because it’s made from whole grain brown rice – a healthy, slimming alternative to regular pasta. It’s really good and doesn’t taste “healthy”!