Yes, this Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole is a vegan dish, but that didn’t stop our meat-loving friends from asking for seconds!
Healthy brown rice and good-for-you broccoli get smothered in a luscious (vegan) cheese sauce and baked to savory perfection to give you this deliciously creamy and wonderfully satisfying comfort food that is also good for you!
Loved by all and easy to make ahead of time, this casserole is the perfect crowd-pleasing dish. (But your family may like it so much, they might not let you share it!)
Why this Broccoli Rice Casserole is Healthy
Full of Fiber
Fiber reduces risk of diabetes and helps with weight loss. And this Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole makes it easy to meet your fiber goals for the day!
Broccoli contains sulforaphane, a natural plant chemical that stimulates the body to produce enzymes that fight cancer.
Great Source of Vitamin K
One serving of broccoli gives you a dose of vitamin K – an important nutrient that the body needs for wound healing and blood clotting.
The calcium and vitamin K in broccoli work together to help keep your bones strong and healthy.
Quick and Easy Healthy Dish
I will often cook a pot of brown rice at the beginning of the week and use it for delicious meals throughout the week. If you have cooked rice on hand, you can whip up this vegan and gluten-free Broccoli Rice Casserole in a jiffy!
Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 3 cups diced broccoli - (approx. 2 small/medium broccoli crowns)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup peeled and sliced raw carrots
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated onion
- 1/8 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon roasted tahini
- 1 2/3 cup water – divided
- 3 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut broccoli into small bite-size pieces. Place in a large sauce pan and add 1/2 cup water. Cover and steam over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender-crisp. (Or steam in a steamer pan.)
- When broccoli is done, uncover, remove from heat, and drain any excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, place cashews, sliced carrot, granulated onion, granulated garlic, salt, lemon juice, tahini, and 2/3 cup of water in blender. Blend until very smooth. Add remaining 1 cup of water and blend.
- Add cooked rice to steamed and drained broccoli and gently mix.
- Pour blender mixture evenly over broccoli and rice. Stir to combine. Spoon mixture into lightly oiled 2 1/2-quart casserole dish or 8-inch x 8-inch baking dish.
- Bake uncovered at 375°F for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
>> One quick request: if you like this recipe, please leave a rating and a comment. Ratings help more people find these healthy recipes!
For more healthy and delicious recipes like this one that will simplify your journey to a healthier and thinner you, check out my
You my also like:
Before you go . . .
Did you know that you can eat all this delicious food AND lose weight? You can!
No calorie counting. No portion sizes.
Join my online weight loss program today!