Oatmeal = boring breakfast, right?
Ah, but this isn’t just any old oatmeal.
Whole oat groats – which lend a satisfying chewiness – are mixed with thick and rich carob-y deliciousness and topped with some toasty nuts and a drizzle of pure maple syrup. Oh, what a yummy way to start your day!
Why Carob? Why not Chocolate?
Cocoa comes from the cacao plant which is a source of beneficial phytochemicals; however, cocoa and chocolate also contain many harmful chemicals including phenylethylamine, theophylline, theobromine, and caffeine.
These chemicals have been shown to stress the kidneys, the adrenals, and the liver, contribute to lower bone density, cause a loss of vitamin B and vitamin C in the body, increase the risk of diabetes, aggravate PMS, and cause migraines and mood swings.
On the other hand, carob is a super healthy food. It does not contain caffeine, phenylethylamine, theophylline, and theobromine found in chocolate, so it doesn’t carry with it the negative health effects that chocolate does.
Where Can I Buy Carob?
- 2/3 cup pitted dates (about 14 dates)
- 1/2 cup raw almonds or raw walnuts
- 2 tablespoons roasted carob powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Teeccino Vanilla Nut Chicory Herbal Coffee – optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups non-dairy milk – divided
- 1 cup whole oat groats
- 1/4 cup natural (no added sugar, no added oil) almond butter or peanut butter, scant
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts
- pure maple syrup
- Place dates, nuts, carob powder, salt, and 2 cups of milk in blender and blend until fairly smooth.
- Pour blender mixture into a small slow cooker and add oat groats. Gently stir in remaining 2 cups milk.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours. (See note #2.)
- When cereal is done, stir in nut butter, vanilla, and chopped nuts. Stir cereal well as this will help it to thicken.
- Serve hot with a drizzle of pure maple syrup and almond milk.
- Carob Oatmeal is delicious topped with chopped nuts, coconut milk, frozen cherries, and sliced bananas.
1. This recipe is for a small (7-cup) slow cooker. Recipe may be adjusted for different size slow cookers.
2. All slow cookers cook differently. If your crock pot cooks hot, then you may find that your overnight cereal tends to burn.
To prevent this, be sure to cook on low and use an appliance timer to turn the slow cooker on and off automatically.
Crock Pot Breakfasts
I use my crock pot (slow cooker) for breakfast several times a week. It’s easy and I love the luxury of not having to cook breakfast in the morning.
More Carob Recipes
Would you like more carob recipes? Here are some of my favorites: