On a snowy winter day, there’s nothing like a hot bowl of homemade soup to warm you up!
The good news is this warm and cozy comfort food isn’t high in fat. This chowder uses slimming potatoes and non-dairy milk instead of fattening cream for its richness and creaminess.
So grab a pair of thick and cozy socks and whip up some of this scrumptious soup … and then enjoy the yummy compliments passed around the table to you.
Low Fat Potato Corn Chowder
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 small carrot, diced - optional
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 medium potatoes
- 2 cups water - or a mild vegetable stock or broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion - (3 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- pinch dried rubbed sage
- 2 cups plain, unsweetened soy or cashew milk - (not vanilla-flavored)
- 1/4 medium red bell pepper, diced - optional
- 1 1/2 cups organic corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon salt - or to taste
- Prepare celery, carrot, and onions. (I use my vegetable chopper.)
- In a large pot, sauté onions, celery, and carrot in oil over medium heat until onions begin to appear translucent (about 8 minutes).
- Meanwhile, peel potatoes if desired. Dice into small dices. (I use my vegetable chopper to make fast work of this.)
- Turn heat to high and add potatoes, water, and seasonings. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender (about 10 minutes).
- Meanwhile, pour milk into blender.
- When potatoes are tender, remove approximately 1 cup of soup from pan and add it to milk in blender.
- Stir diced pepper into soup and continue simmering.
- Add salt to blender mixture and blend until creamy. Add this mixture to pan along with corn and stir. Cook until hot.
- Discard bay leaf. Season to taste.Serve hot.
>> One quick request: if you like this recipe, please leave a rating and a comment. Ratings help more people find these healthy recipes!
You my also like:
Before you go . . .
Did you know that you can eat all this delicious food AND lose weight? You can!
No calorie counting. No portion sizes.
Join my online weight loss program today!