Is it ok if I post a smoothie recipe right after an ice cream recipe? It’s summer, right?
Most smoothie recipes are pretty forgiving. You can add a little more banana, use peaches instead of strawberries, throw in some nuts or chia seeds, and it’s still gonna taste great. It’s nearly impossible to mess up a smoothie. (Unless you put spinach in it. Blech!)
However, this is no ordinary smoothie. I tweaked it and fine-tuned it until it had a perfect combination of frostiness, thickness, creaminess, and sweetness. This cold and creamy treat is so extraordinary, soooo unlike your average smoothie, it really shouldn’t be called a smoothie. It needs a new name.
Something like, “The Thickest, Creamiest, Richest, Sugar-Free, Healthy, Sorta-Like a Smoothie-Like Treat, Except Not Really a Smoothie, that You’ve Ever Eaten with a Spoon Because You Can’t Drink It with a Straw”.
Or something like that.
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts
- 3/8 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 small ripe (but not too ripe) fresh banana
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, scant
- 2 1/2 frozen, medium-size bananas, cut into small pieces (approx. 2 1/2 cups frozen banana slices)
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- Place nuts, milk, fresh banana, vanilla, and salt in a high-power blender and blend until very smooth.
- Add frozen bananas. Blend on high speed just until lumps disappear, but do not over blend or mixture will become runny.
- Mix in slightly chopped or whole berries.
- Serve immediately.