Have I told you yet about my love affair with avocados? Have I mentioned how great it is that this whole food can make a dish creamy and luscious without added oil? Have I talked about how deliciously flexible they are and how great they taste with everything from tomatoes to butternut squash to sandwiches?
Oh, yeah. It looks like I covered that pretty well.
Ok, so on to this delicious dip.
We like hummus a lot. It’s a great travel food. It tastes yummy on sandwiches, as a dip, or in wraps. And it’s really good for you.
But sometimes we want a change, and this Broccoli-Avocado-Hummus Dip offers a delightful twist on ordinary hummus. It’s guacamole meets hummus. And it’s a great way to sneak some veggies in your day.
About the Garbanzos in This Dip
For this dip, I always use garbanzos (chickpeas) that have been cooked in a crock-pot or an Instant Pot. Slow-cooked garbanzo beans and canned garbanzos are like two completely different beans with completely different textures. If you’ve never cooked garbanzos in a slow cooker or an Instant Pot, you really need to try it.
And canned garbanzo beans … well they just don’t.
Where to buy the best dried garbanzo beans?
Azure Standard carries the ABSOLUTE BEST garbanzo beans (chickpeas) I have ever tasted! They are super fresh and flavorful and always cook up tender and buttery. Once you try them, you’ll never want garbanzo beans from anywhere else.
Broccoli Avocado Hummus Dip
- 1 3/4 cups raw, diced broccoli
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 cups cooked garbanzo beans (chickpeas) - drained, see note
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon salt - scant (see note)
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, - scant
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 medium Hass avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 tablespoons fresh, minced cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely diced sweet onion - or sliced green onions – optional
- Very lightly steam broccoli until vegetables are bright in color and tender, but not too soft.
- Set aside, uncovered, to cool.
- Meanwhile, place garlic in food processor and process until chopped fine.
- Add garbanzo beans, seasonings, tahini, lemon juice, and lime juice and process until fairly smooth.
- Add drained broccoli and avocado. Process until fairly smooth.
- Add cilantro and process just until mixed.
- Stir in onion if desired. Serve immediately.
>> One quick request: if you like this recipe, please leave a rating and a comment. Ratings help more people find these healthy recipes!
More Avocado Recipes
Would you like more avocado recipes? Here are some of my healthy favorites.
You my also like:
Before you go . . .
Did you know that you can eat all this delicious food AND lose weight? You can!
No calorie counting. No portion sizes.
Join my online weight loss program today!