After several very warm days, 50 degrees this morning felt quite brisk. Some creamy potato soup sounded really good, so I whipped some up for lunch and am sharing the recipe with you. Hope you enjoy!
Cream of Potato Soup
A creamy soup without the fattening cream. Serve with a salad and bread for a very satisfying meal.
- In a large soup pot, sauté diced onions and celery in oil over medium-low heat until onions begin to look translucent.
- Wash and peel potatoes. Dice into bite-size pieces and place in soup pan along with 4 cups of water. Turn heat to high.
- Add seasonings, cover, and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, but not mushy (about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the size of the potato dices).
- Meanwhile, place cashews, 1 cup of water, and salt in blender and blend until very smooth.
- When potatoes are tender, stir in blender mixture, and cook until hot.Serve hot.
Potato Leek Soup: Sauté 1 sliced leek along with celery and onion.
Potato Garlic Soup: Add an additional three cloves of minced garlic to the sauté mixture in the last minute of sautéing.
“Do you have a kinder, more adaptable friend in the food world than soup? Who soothes you when you are ill? Who refuses to leave you when you are impoverished and stretches its resources to give a hearty sustenance and cheer? Who warms you in the winter and cools you in the summer? Yet who also is capable of doing honor to your richest table and impressing your most demanding guests? Soup does its loyal best, no matter what undignified conditions are imposed upon it. You don’t catch steak hanging around when you’re poor and sick, do you?” Judith Martin