At around 25 cents per cup cooked, beans are just about the most inexpensive, healthful source of quality protein you can buy. And they are the ultimate in convenience – just open a can! Or you can cook your own – a crock pot makes cooking beans so easy.
Add some brown rice, vegetables, and seasonings and you have a dish that’s overflowing with flavor and nutrition.
Start Your Week Off Skinny
Tex Mex Beans and Rice is a fabulous source of fiber so you’ll feel fuller longer and with less food, helping you to reach your weight loss goals easier.
Tex Mex Beans and Rice is also a flexible dish. Add different toppings like diced avocado, salsa or fresh diced tomatoes, cilantro and lime juice, chopped olives, or guacamole. Change up your seasonings. Or use leftovers as a taco or burrito filling.
Happy Meatless Monday to you! I hope you have a great week!
- 2 medium onions, diced small (I use my food chopper to cut the onions and carrots because it’s super fast, and it keeps the onions from making me cry.)
- 3 medium carrots, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or diced small
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup corn kernels, drained
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons onion powder or granulated onion
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups (two 15-ounce cans) black beans or pinto beans, drained
- In a large pan, sauté onion and carrots in oil over medium heat until onions begin to look translucent and carrots are tender-crisp.
- Add garlic and lemon juice sauté for 1 additional minute.
- Stir in corn, rice, water, and seasonings and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Gently stir in beans. Cook until heated thoroughly.
- Serve hot.
Some of the posts on this blog contain affiliate links. Buying items through those links doesn’t cost you any extra and is a nice way for you to help me continue to provide this blog. Thank you : )