Creamy Spring Soup
Yield 4 servings
This lightened-up soup highlights some of spring’s fresh and delicious vegetables.
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, diced small
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 3 cups water – divided
- 2 1/2 teaspoons granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium OR 3 small potatoes, peeled (if desired) and diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon dried ground rosemary
- 2 cups (packed) chopped fresh kale
- Wash and cut vegetables.
- In a large soup pot, sauté onions in oil over medium (not high) heat for 5 minutes. Onions should not brown; they should just begin to turn translucent.
- Meanwhile, place cashews, 1 cup water, granulated onion, and salt, in blender and blend until very smooth. (A heavy-duty blender works best for this recipe; other blenders may not get the mixture smooth enough.) Set aside.
- Add zucchini and summer squash to soup pot and continue to sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and potatoes and sauté for one additional minute.
- Pour remaining 2 cups water into pot and turn heat to high.
- Stir in herbs and kale.
- Cover pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in blender mixture. Serve hot.
I like to sprinkle some Herbamare in this soup before serving.
Recipe by JennifersKitchen at https://jenniferskitchen.com/2015/05/creamy-spring-soup.html