Reason #789 why I like summer. Fresh, beautiful produce.
This salad is like summertime in a bowl. And it’s picnic-friendly. Make a batch ahead of time, keep in the frig, and it’s ready to go when you are.
What is Edamame?
Edamame, a long-time staple in Japanese cuisine, are the young green soybeans fresh from the pod. Edamame comes in the shell and shelled and can be found in the freezer section of most grocery stores and even at some farmer’s markets.
A half-cup serving of shelled edamame will offer you 9 grams of fiber, 11 grams or protein, 10% of your daily need for vitamin C, and 10% of your daily need for iron. And lots of yumminess.
Summertime Farmer’s Market Salad
- 2 small handfuls fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces - (about 2 cups)
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 3/4 cups fresh or frozen shelled edamame - (or one 8-ounce package), see note about edamame below this recipe
- 2/3 cup finely diced red or green onion
- 1 cup organic corn kernels - (fresh if possible)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice - scant
- 2 teaspoons granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium orange bell pepper
- 1 cup fresh grape tomatoes
- 1 Hass avocado, peeled and diced
- Wash green beans and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Bring water to boil in a pot and add edamame. Cover, and cook at a low boil for 3 minutes.
- Add green beans to pot, cover, and cook for an additional 2 to 2 1/2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, transfer edamame and beans to colander, and briefly rinse with cold water to stop cooking.
- Transfer edamame and beans to a large mixing bowl (or return to pan) and add remaining ingredients, except pepper and tomatoes. Mix well.
- Place in refrigerator to chill and marinate.
- Before serving, dice bell pepper and halve tomatoes and mix into salad.
>> One quick request: if you like this recipe, please leave a rating and a comment. Ratings help more people find these healthy recipes!
For more healthy and delicious recipes like this one that will simplify your journey to a healthier and thinner you, check out my
You my also like:
Before you go . . .
Did you know that you can eat all this delicious food AND lose weight? You can!
No calorie counting. No portion sizes.
Join my online weight loss program today!