The leaves are turning a rich red and lush yellow color, the apples are harvested and filling the house with their lovely apple aroma, the air is cold and briskly pushing its way through our jackets, and we are having slow-cooked butternut squash soup for lunch.
Autumn has arrived.
Butternut Squash Soup is easy to make and can be cooked either on the stove or in a crock-pot. Mmmmmm … I love the smell of simmering butternut soup waiting for me when I come in from the cold.
Some types of squash can be tough to cut. Here are instructions for how to make this job an easy one.
Winter squashes are excellent sources of vitamins A and C. These antioxidant vitamins can help protect against cancer, heart disease, and macular degeneration.
Chunky, Tomato-y Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 medium to large butternut squash
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil - (for pan cooking; may be omitted for cooking in slow cooker )
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup water - or broth
- 7 cups (two 29-ounce cans) diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup organic corn kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon salt - or to taste
PAN COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
- In a large soup pot, saute diced onion, diced pepper, and squash in approximately 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat until onions begin to appear translucent.
- Add garlic and saute for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Add water or broth and tomatoes. Bring to boil.
- Stir in seasonings and corn and reduce heat to simmer. Cook until squash is soft.
- Add salt to taste.
CROCK-POT COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
- Place squash in crock-pot.
- Add diced onion, diced pepper, water, and tomatoes.
- Cook on high for 7 to 8 hours. (Because all slow cookers vary in temperature, cooking time may vary.)
- Stir in seasonings and corn. Replace lid quickly to avoid too much heat loss.
- Cook for an additional 20 minutes to 1 hour. Squash should be very soft.
>> One quick request: if you like this recipe, please leave a rating and a comment. Ratings help more people find these healthy recipes!
You my also like:
Before you go . . .
Did you know that you can eat all this delicious food AND lose weight? You can!
No calorie counting. No portion sizes.
Join my online weight loss program today!