Cream of Potato and Kale Soup
Yield 4 servings
This rich and satisfying soup is also very slimming ... and it's vegan and gluten-free!
- 1 rib of celery
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 medium potatoes
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups packed, chopped kale
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or granulated garlic
- 2/3 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water, scant
- 2 teaspoons salt, scant
- In a large soup pot, sauté diced onions and celery in oil over medium-low heat until onions begin to look translucent.
- Meanwhile, wash and peel potatoes. Dice into bite-size pieces and place in soup pan along with 6 cups of water and chopped kale. Turn heat to high.
- Add seasonings, mix well, cover, and bring to boil.
- When water comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, but not mushy (about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the size of the potato dices).
- Meanwhile, place cashews, 1 cup of water, and salt in blender and blend until very smooth. (A heavy-duty blender works best for this recipe; other blenders may not get the mixture smooth enough.)
- When potatoes are tender, stir in blender mixture, and cook until hot. Serve hot.
Recipe by JennifersKitchen at https://jenniferskitchen.com/2015/11/cream-of-potato-and-kale-soup.html