Pasta With Spring Vegetables
A light and flavorful pasta dish made with spring vegetables.
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta - I use Tinkyada pasta because it's made from whole grains, tastes amazing (especially compared to other whole grain pastas), and cooks up nice and firm (never mushy).
- 16 green onions or 12 spring onions
- 1 pound asparagus (about 25 spears)
- 1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup pasta water or broth
- 1 cup frozen peas or 1 pound fresh peas, shelled
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
- 2 teaspoons granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup of my healthy, homemade Creamy Italian Salad Dressing
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- lemon wedges – optional
- avocado dices – optional
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, slice green onions, using the white and light green part and discarding remaining. (You should have approximately 1 cup sliced onion.)
- Break woody ends off asparagus and discard. Cut asparagus into 3/4-inch pieces, leaving tips of spears a little longer.
- Sauté onions and asparagus in oil over heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add parsley and garlic and sauté for one more minute.
- Add water or broth, cover, and simmer until asparagus is tender-crisp (about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Stir in peas, chives, and seasonings. Cook 1 minute. There will be extra broth leftover; don’t drain it.
- Combine drained pasta, vegetable mixture, dressing, and lemon juice.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges and diced avocado as desired.
Recipe by JennifersKitchen at https://jenniferskitchen.com/2015/04/pasta-with-spring-vegetables.html