Vegan Soy-Free Sour Cream
Yield 2 cups
Thick, rich, and creamy, but not fattening.
- Place cashews in a colander and rinse under hot water. Set aside to drain.
- Place 1 cup water and agar in a small saucepan, cover, and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for one minute.
- Meanwhile, place drained cashews, remaining 1 cup water (scant), oil, lemon juice, and seasonings in blender and blend until very smooth and creamy. (A heavy-duty blender works best for this recipe; other blenders may not get the mixture smooth enough.)
- Add agar mixture to blender. Scrape pan out with a rubber spatula to be sure to get all of mixture. Blend until thoroughly mixed.
- Place mixture in refrigerator to chill for at least two hours.
- When mixture is thoroughly chilled and set, blend again until smooth and creamy.
- Return to refrigerator to thicken.
Increase oil to 1/4 cup for a richer sour cream that tastes a little bit more like dairy sour cream.
I don't recommend making any less than a full recipe; the smaller amount won’t blend well in the blender jar. If you don't need a full recipe (like for these Burritos), just make a full batch and bring the leftovers to me. I'll eat it.
Recipe by JennifersKitchen at https://jenniferskitchen.com/2015/01/vegan-soy-free-sour-cream.html