Crunchy Chopped Salad
Salad with crunch and flavor in every bite!
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 small to medium carrots, coarsely shredded
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion or sweet onion
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon raw sugar, such as turbinado sugar or evaporated cane juice sugar
- 1 small to medium cucumber
- 1/2 sweet bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped Romaine lettuce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup hulled sunflower seeds (raw or toasted)
- 2 tablespoons pepitas (raw or toasted) – optional
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Prepare celery, carrots, garlic, and onion. Place in mixing bowl.
- Place lemon juice, basil, oregano, and sugar in a saucepan and bring to low boil. Remove from heat and pour over celery, carrots, garlic, and onion. Quickly toss to coat.
- Place mixture in refrigerator to chill.
- Before serving, finely dice pepper and chop lettuce. (Be sure lettuce is dry.) Peel and finely dice cucumber.
- Add to chilled mixture.
- Stir in oil, seeds, granulated onion, and salt. Mix well. Serve.
Recipe by JennifersKitchen at https://jenniferskitchen.com/2015/01/crunchy-chopped-salad.html