Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
Yield 4 servings
Low-fat and super flavorful, these stuffed peppers are a favorite!
- 4 large, sweet bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large sweet onion (or one small), diced small
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 3/4 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 small to medium tomatoes, diced small
- 3/4 cups corn kernels (drained if canned)
- 1/2 cup (one 2.5 ounce can) sliced olives, drained
- 3/4 cup cooked black beans or red beans, lightly rinsed and drained well
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley – optional
- 2 teaspoons granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup crumbled, extra-firm (water-packed - not silken) tofu seasoned with 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt (See note above about alternative toppings.)
- Cut a small slice off the bottoms of peppers to make a flat bottom so the peppers will stand up. Dice this bottom slice into small pieces. Set aside.
- Slice off tops of peppers to remove the stem part. Dice the flesh part of the tops into small pieces. Add to diced pepper bottoms.
- Heat oil in a large pan and sauté diced pepper pieces and diced onions over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until they just begin to soften.
- Add garlic and rice and sauté for one additional minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, corn, olives, beans, and seasonings. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, pour tomato sauce and broth into the bottom of an oiled 2-quart baking dish. Stir gently. (If you prefer saucier stuffed peppers, rather than placing the sauce in the bottom of the dish, pour it over the peppers after they are stuffed in step #7.)
- Remove seeds and membranes from the insides of the peppers. Fill peppers with rice mixture, packing tightly so as to fill with as much mixture as possible. Place peppers (standing up) in baking dish.
- Sprinkle tops with crumbled tofu or other topping. (While a tofu or cheese topping really adds to these stuffed peppers, they taste great even without any topping, so if you don't have anything on hand, no worries.)
- Cover and bake at 375°F for 30 minutes.Serve hot.
Recipe by JennifersKitchen at https://jenniferskitchen.com/2014/10/vegetarian-gluten-free-stuffed-peppers.html