Butternut Tofu Scramble with Avocado
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and diced butternut squash (cut into small pieces)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro or 2 teaspoons fresh minced
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large plum tomato or about 7 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 small avocado, diced small
- Place tofu in colander to drain and set aside. OR gently press out water using a tofu press.
- In a large, wide-bottom pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. When oil is warm, add diced squash and briefly stir to coat squash with oil. Saute for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Dice onion and pepper and add to squash. Stir.
- Squeeze excess liquid from tofu and crumble over vegetables.
- Add seasonings and mix well.
- Cook over medium high to high heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and some of the tofu is very lightly browned. See note.
- Stir in minced garlic and cook for one minute.
- Stir in cherry tomatoes. Cook until tomatoes are warm (about one minute) and then remove from heat.
- Serve topped with green onions and avocado.
Be sure to squeeze as much liquid as possible out of the tofu.
Recipe by JennifersKitchen at https://jenniferskitchen.com/2014/10/butternut-tofu-scramble-with-avocado.html