Mexican Quinoa Salad
Yield 4 servings
Made from fresh vegetables and whole grain quinoa, this dish is highly-nutritious and makes a delicious picnic dish.
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (3/4 cup uncooked)
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3/8 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt – or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups (one 16–ounce can) cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups (one 15-ounce can) corn, drained
- 1/2 cup (one 2.25-ounce can) sliced black olives
- 2 - 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium fresh tomato, diced small
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper – optional
- Mix together cooked and cooled quinoa, diced onion, garlic, and lemon juice in a large mixing bowl.
- Finely chop parsley and cilantro. (A food processor works well for this.)
- Stir into quinoa along with seasonings, black beans, corn, and olives.
- Stir in oil, tomato, and pepper, immediately before serving.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
For a heartier dish, add an additional 1 1/2 cups (one 16-ounce can) black beans.
Recipe by JennifersKitchen at https://jenniferskitchen.com/2013/05/the-secret-to-great-tasting-quinoa.html