This recipe will surprise you! Oatmeal? No, this is not your grandmother’s oatmeal. You will love it! It’s oatmeal with a makeover.
I’ve eaten oatmeal many different ways, and this is by far my favorite. Naturally sweet, warm, creamy, and good for you!
Don’t like oatmeal? Try this.
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 2 cups applesauce
- your choice of sweetener –
1/4 cup honey
OR 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
OR 1/2 cup raw sugar
OR 1/2 cup chopped dates (see note)
OR if you’d like to reduce the sweetener, replace some of it with chopped apples
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 2 cups regular rolled oats
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- Stir together all ingredients, except blueberries and oats in a large mixing bowl.
- Add oats and lightly mix. Do not over mix. Mixture will be soupy.
- Gently stir in blueberries.
- Pour into an oiled 2-quart baking dish.
- Bake uncovered at 375°F for 45 minutes or until lightly browned.
2. While the oil is optional, it does add a bit of a buttery flavor to the dish. However, it also adds calories and can be left out without negatively affecting the final product.
Make Ahead Tip:
This dish can be baked the evening before and kept in the refrigerator until the next morning when ready to reheat.
Stir 1/2 cup chopped nuts in with the oats.