The leaves are turning a rich red and lush yellow color, the apples are harvested and filling the house with their lovely apple aroma, the air is cold and briskly pushing its way through our jackets, and we are having slow-cooked butternut squash soup for lunch.
Autumn has arrived.
Butternut Squash Soup is easy to make and can be cooked either on the stove or in a crock-pot. Mmmmmm … I love the smell of simmering butternut soup waiting for me when I come in from the cold.
Some types of squash can be tough to cut without a good knife; but with a sturdy knife, the job can be finished in about 5 minutes.
Winter squashes are excellent sources of vitamins A and C. These antioxidant vitamins can help protect against cancer, heart disease, and macular degeneration.
- 1 medium to large butternut squash
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (for pan cooking; may be omitted for cooking in slow cooker )
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup water or broth
- 7 cups (two 29-ounce cans) diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder or granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon salt – or to taste
- PAN COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
- Peel squash with a vegetable peeler and cut into 3/4” cubes.
- In a large soup pot, saute diced onion, diced pepper, and squash in approximately 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat until onions begin to appear translucent.
- Add garlic and saute for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Add water or broth and tomatoes. Bring to boil.
- Stir in seasonings and corn and reduce heat to simmer. Cook until squash is soft.
- Add salt to taste.
- CROCK-POT COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
- Peel squash with a vegetable peeler and cut into 3/4” cubes. Place squash in crock-pot.
- Add diced onion, diced pepper, water, and tomatoes.
- Cook on high for 7 to 8 hours. (Because all slow cookers vary in temperature, cooking time may vary.)
- Stir in seasonings and corn. Replace lid quickly to avoid too much heat loss.
- Cook for an additional 20 minutes to 1 hour. Squash should be very soft.
The amount of water given works well for most slow cookers. If your cooker tends to lose more or less water than most, you may need to adjust the water amount in the recipe.
For best results, do not lift the lid during cooking process.
Cooking time may very depending on your slow cooker.
Some of the posts on this blog contain affiliate links. Buying items through those links doesn’t cost you any extra and is a nice way for you to help me continue to provide this blog. Thank you : )